Our rules committee has formulated a Code of Conduct to ensure that no member of the A.V.T.A. will abuse the privilege of riding and or hiking across private or public property.
(updated July 2020)
1. THE RIGHTS OF THE PROPERTY OWNERS, ACROSS WHOSE LAND WE ARE PERMITTED TO RIDE/HIKE MUST BE RESPECTED AT ALL TIMES! Remember that you are a guest on the land. When you meet landowners, be courteous and let them know how much you appreciate the pleasure they are providing you. ONE irresponsible person can cause the closing of a trail!
2. WEAR YOUR I.D. TAGS AT ALL TIMES ON THE TRAILS. Riders and hikers are required to have on their saddles or persons their tag number at all times when they are on the trails and must show them to anyone who requests the number. Pick up your new tags before you ride. Privileges are issued on an annual basis, subject to revocation if discourtesy and/or abuse of trails occur.
3. RIDE THE ASSOCIATION TRAILS ONLY! Riders must not wander from marked trails and must stay close to the edge of farmers' fields. Do not use any landowner's schooling facilities, jumps, rings, training tracks, playing fields, etc. You MUST respect TRAIL CLOSED signs!
4. FOR SAFETY'S SAKE riders should always wear helmets and proper riding shoes/boots.
5. NO MOTORIZED OR WHEELED VEHICLES are permitted on the trails. Except for organized trail work and mowing.
6. DOGS are only permitted on the trails when hiking and must be leashed.
7. PLEASE REPORT ANY DAMAGE OR REPAIRS needed to trail/fences throughout the year to Gail Cahill 609-423-8278 firstname.lastname@example.org
8. BE THOUGHTFUL OF LANDOWNER'S PRIVACY. Wave as you pass houses whether or not you can see anyone and when you see someone working on the land. Dress appropriately and keep voices down. Walk your horse down any driveway or trail that passes close to a house, or by any pasture where you may disturb livestock.
9. NO SMOKING ON TRAILS.
10. ACTIVE PARTICIPATION TO HELP MAINTAIN TRAILS AND RUN THE ORGANIZATION IS REQUIRED OF ALL MEMBERS TO MAKE THIS ASSOCIATION A SUCCESS.
11. DO NOT RIDE OFF YOUR OWN PROPERTY OR WHERE YOU BOARD AFTER SUNSET!
12. NO RIDING IS ALLOWED ON THE TRAILS WHEN THEY ARE VERY WET AND MUDDY.
13. THERE WILL BE NO "FOR HIRE" TRAIL RIDES ON AVTA TRAILS unless they have received permission from the property owners on which those trails exist.
Holcombe Farm, on Wertsville Road, is not part of the AVTA trail system. While riders are welcome, they ride at the pleasure of Bob and Barbara Holcombe. The way through is clearly marked by mown paths and is shown on the AVTA trail maps. The paths circle the farm and follow the farm road. The fields adjacent to the woods next to Lindbergh Road are crop fields as are the fields next to Garrets. Under no circumstances are riders to cross those fields or ride around them other than on the existing paths. In addition, loose dogs are absolutely not welcome.
Rules and Regulations during deer hunting season:
Riders are responsible for being aware of hunting dates.
Hunting dates will be posted on the AVTA website and in the AVTA newsletter. Also check the NJ Fish and Game website for zone 13.
* Remember that there will be bow hunting in most areas on Sundays *
1. Always wear blaze orange on the trails.
2. Riders may be on the trails ONLY between the hours of 10AM and 3PM daily until the clocks change and then the times change to 10 AM to 2 PM.
3. Be aware, in areas that are posted semi wild, that hunters can hunt small game on Sundays.
4. The Trails are CLOSED during Firearms Week, no riding or hiking allowed.
5. The AIRPARK is open to riders and hikers weekdays and Sundays only between 10 AM and 2 PM, no riding on Saturdays. Stay on the defined trails and roads, and please keep your voices down.
Riders are prohibited from using any access to the Airpark from North Hill Road from Dec 1st to Feb 14th. (Sundays will be OK)
6. Turkey season runs from about mid April to mid May with hunting from dawn to 12 noon Monday through Saturday.
The Ridge at Backbrook Golf Course
Rules and Regulations:
Years ago when the golf course was proposed in East Amwell the people on the planning board and the seller, Mr. Bryce Thompson, worked very hard with the Ridge developers and the AVTA to ensure that trails would be available around the property. The owners of the Ridge, Joel and Pam Moore, agreed to allow us access to the trails with certain conditions. When you join the AVTA you agree to follow all our codes of conduct which include those in effect at The Ridge at Back Brook. For all members who use the easement around the golf course, the following provisions apply:
1. Quiet is of the utmost importance while riding or hiking on the trails.
2. Golfers have the right of way at all times.
3. Stand quietly while golfers are near tees and greens or keep moving past area, so as not to distract players.
4. Use the trails only during daylight hours.
5. Quietly let the golfers know you are coming if they are on the trail.
6. Obey all posted signs.
7. Stay on the designated trails.
8. Ride at a reasonable pace e.g. walk or trot.
9. Be courteous to members of the golf course and their guests.